KOVAR Chairman: Art Hill
KOVAR and Amazon SmileYou an help raise money for KOVAR just by shopping at Amazon and designating KOVAR as an Amazon donation receipent, with NO cost to you.
Signup for Amazon Smile and KOVAR will get .5% of all sales.
Two easy steps:
- Go to http://smile.amazon.com
- Select KOVAR as the charity to receive funds.
Or - you can add the Amazon Quick Smile quick link, available when you register, and click right to Amazon Smile.
Posted by: Art HillKOVAR Knights of Virginia, Assistance For The Retarded is a Knights of Columbus sponsored, Virginia chartered, tax-exempt corporation instituted in 1971. The express purpose of KOVAR is to provide financial assistance to Virginia 501(c)(3) corporations who exist to assist the mentally retarded. KOVAR's focus is on the retarded as opposed to the broad category of mentally handicapped, which can include all sorts of mental diseases and conditions.
KOVAR is managed by a Board of Directors, who are elected from members of the various Knights of Columbus councils throughout the State of Virginia. The Board oversees the operations of KOVAR as well as manages the Grant, and the Interest Free Loan programs which KOVAR sponsors.
The two above programs distribute ALL of the monies raised by KOVAR, except for funds used for the cost of promotional materials. There are no salaries or other expenses paid out of KOVAR funds.
KOVAR monies are raised by the various K of C Councils throughout the state. Various methods are used, but the most common are Collections at storefronts, banks, factories, churches, and the like. The Knights, wives, and others, with their identifiable aprons, stand in front of these places and hand out Tootsie rolls, while they solicit funds.
KOVAR deserves our support.
Types of Assistance Provided
- Home Loans - interest free loan program to assist in the purchase of group homes
- Transportation - 20% funding to assist in purchasing vehicles needed to transport persons with intellectual disabilities
- Group Home Furnishings - Grants of organizations needing to furnish group homes
- Infant Intervention Programs - Grants to establish early detection programs to identify infants with or at risk of intellectual disability
- Training Programs - Necessary funding for organizations to train person with intellectual disability to enhance their quality of community living
- Startup Programs - Grants to establish new and innovative programs designed to assist individuals with intellectual disabilities and their families
- Special Olympics - KOVAR is a Platinum Sponsor of the Virginia Special Olympics, donating over $50,000 each year
Special Olympics VirginiaSpecial Olympics Virginia is a year-round program of sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. We serve more than 10,000 athletes through seven regional offices and 29 area programs. We are one of 52 U.S. programs, and part of a global movement that serves three million athletes in more than 180 counties.
Vehicle Donation ProgramA free, convenient service for converting that extra car, truck, or RV into a tax deductable donation benefiting Knights Of Virginia Assistance For The Retarded (KOVAR). You can donate online or call 877-999-8322 to make your donation.
United Way CampaignOur goal this year is to raise $6,000 during the campaign.
Now you can donate directly to the United Way Campaign and ensure your donation goes directly to KOVAR. Just go to this site and complete the on-line form using the area code for Tidewater. What could be easier?
United Way Campaigns in the Tidewater Area - #8838
Combined Federal Campaign: #42569
Virginia Campaign: #735
And thank you for your support!